Saturday 3 September 2011

Fashion Is My Happy Place


Happiness is......playing dress up!




I couldn't imagine life without my dressing room. It's my escapism - be it from a busy day at work, stresses about money (lack of), or a bit of peace and quiet away from Mr ETM and Harlow (the cat). 
I close the door, light my Jo Malone candle (english pear and freesia), switch on my ipod (or crack open the Poirot boxset!), open my wardrobe and let the dressing up begin!  Half the outfits I put together I would probably never leave the house in, far too OTT for Thirsk!  But I love the creative side of selecting pieces and seeing a look come together. 

One of my earliest childhood memories is that of my mum giving me two large boxes filled to the brim with her old clothes.  I was in little girl heaven - tottering around in a long emarld green dress, pointy heels and a fur shrug (FYI that was my fave ensemble!).  That was the moment I knew that fashion was to play a major part in my life. 

Being an only child I spent a lot of time on my own, which suited me fine.  I would go up to my bedroom, open the cupbaord, tip out the two boxes of dressing up clothes and spend hours trying on different outfits, deciding what looked best with what.  I'd then give the outfit a persona - decide what sort of lady would wear it and carry out little role plays in front of the mirror. 
My mum seeing how much I loved playing with her old clothes would often trawl the local charity shops coming home with bags of skirts, blouses and dresses to feed my habit!

The best birthday present I ever received was a Fashion Wheel (fellow children of the 1980's may remember these).  It was a rotating wheel split into three sections - top (different heads with hats, necklaces), middle (jackets, blouses) and bottom (skirts, trousers).  You moved the sections to create your outfit then placed a sheet of paper on top and rubbed a crayon over it and TA DA(!) you're a fashion designer.  I wonder if those toys still exist..........right, that's all for this eve - I'm off to go look on Amazon and find out!!!

No comments: