Friday 2 September 2011

Emma Bridgewater - Feels Like Home

Over recent years Emma Bridgewater has become synonymous with country kitchens, going hand in hand with the Aga as thee image of a quintessential English Country Home. 

Established in 1985 by Emma Bridgewater (yes, she is indeed an actual real life person!).  She began by drawing up four shapes - a mug, bowl, jug and dish and worked with with a model maker in Stoke on Trent to create the first pieces.  Using the decorative technique of sponge printing her samples were soon snapped up by Buyers and so the EB phenomenon was born.

I am a huge fan of the pottery and have been collecting pieces for the past two years. I thought that I would share with you some items from  my collection.


My most beloved item and the mantra by which I like to live (!)
"Early To Bed & Up With The Cock"


If you collect EB then a teapot is mandatory (it's by the by that I dont even drink tea!!)


Mr ETM and I spotted this wooden pigeon holder in the James Brindley (www.jamesbrindley.com) window display and fell in love with it.  It was the perfect piece to display our vast collection of EB mugs that were far too pretty to be hidden away in a cupboard.


A glimpse into one of our crockery cupboards - we love to have friends over for dinner parties so it's a good excuse to stock up on plenty of plates and dishes. 
I started off just collecting the Polka Dot range but I've recently branched out into the Black Toast, Starry Skies and Game Birds ranges as well. 
That's the great thing about all the Emma Bridgewater pieces, the more mismatched they are, the better they look.  I like the mix and match and higglety pigglety look of all the items next to one another.

No comments: