Tuesday 10 January 2012

Latest in Beauty News - Blemish Balms

If you go into your local Boots, Superdrug or department store you are sure to see the letters BB emblazoned all over the beauty counters.  It is the new buzz word and product, BB stands for Blemish Balm; a cosmetic/skincare hybrid.

The latest trend in the beauty world is minimisingRather than using ten different products each morning and evening, people want to have a couple of products that do the same job as ten - cutting down on time spent infront of the mirror, but more importantly in these frugal times, cutting down on our spending.   Rather than buying three products at £6 each, why not buy one at £15.  Makes sense really doesn't it!

Blemish Balms are filled with multi tasking promises (they are extremely popular with South Korean women)
  • brighten skin like a primer
  • even out complexion like a lightweight foundation
  • cover blemishes like a concealer
  • hydrate like a moisturiser
  • sooth skin like an anti-inflammatory
  • contain UV protection
Brands at both ends of the price spectrum have Blemish Balms out there for you to try

Garnier £9.99

No 17 £6.99 (currently on offer for £4.99)
No7 £15.50
Estee Lauder £26

Dior £36.50

MAC £22.10

I have personally tested the No17 and the MAC versions and I really loved both of them.  

For me, MAC can do no wrong in terms of quality, which explains why every makeup asrtist worth their salt has at least a handful of MAC items in their cosmetics box.  The cream glides on and you only need to use a pea size amount.  It has an SPF of 35 - an added bonus of this cream.  I don't think it will necessarily help to clear blemishes but it certainly does a good job of covering them up, and is brilliant for evening out skin tones, to give a smooth finish across the face and neck.

The No17 cream is a real bargain at £4.99.  I was sceptical at first as I'm a believer in splurging on foundations - without a good base layer, your make up will never look great.  But this cream was a surprise find.  It gave a light coverage, so my skin felt like it could still breathe and wasn't caked in product.  I would wear this on it's own in summer but in the winter months I still wear a layer of foundation over the top.  I definitely noticed a difference after the first application, my skin looked smooth and even and for less than a fiver I couldn't really ask for more.

So if you treat yourself to one new product this month I'd say try out a Blemish Balm and see what you think for yourself.


No comments: