Friday 27 April 2012

a glimpse into my dressing room

Everyone has a favourite room in their house; for some the kitchen, others the bedroom, mine is most definitely my dressing room.  It's my little haven away from the real world where I can pamper and play dress up!

Today I thought I'd share a few pictures of my dressing room with you lovely made-ons. 
There is just one vital piece of the room missing...the dressing table.  It is currenlty in the creative hands of Martin & Louise Peacock - it's having a makeover and tomorrow is the big reveal, sooooooo excited to see what wonders they have worked on it and I'll be sure to share pics of the end result on Monday.  In the meantime do check out Sew Lulu on Facebook to see some of the fabulous wood and fabric creations made lovingly by the Peacocks.


jackets - such an important piece in any girl's wardrobe.  Stock up on various colours and patterns - they'll last you years and are so easy to throw over any outfit to smarten/brighten it up.  Also a vital garment for a night out in Yorkshire...bbbrrrr it's cold up north, and there is nothing chic about goose pimples.


the dark side - aka the dull section of my wardrobe.  I'm a huge fan of colour and try to avoid head to toe black (although some "fat days" you just need the comfort blanket of black)  But dark colours don't have to boring, you can jazz them up with a sparkly piece of jewellery or a slick of red lipstick.

the bright side - sunshine on a rainy day.  I LOVE colour, the brighter the better.  I urge you all not to be afraid of colour, not only will it lift your skin tone but it also lifts your moods.  If you wear bright, you feel bright.  The shops are full of colour blocking and patterns at the moment, so it's a great opportunity to get out onto the highstreet and try loads of different colours on and find which ones suit you best.  With colour I say toss the rule book out of the window - pink and red do work together and floral and spots can be tres chic.


the light side - there's something about a cream / white blouse that I think looks so luxurious and smart.  But buyer beware - this is a high maintenance look...whenever I'm wearing one of these items I'm on the constant looks out...avoiding red wine, spaghetti and children! 

a place for everything and everything in it's place. Wicker baskets are a great way to store your accessories, making them easy to get to (if you can't see it, you won't wear it) and helps to keep your wardrobe neat and tidy.


baskets of bling


shoes and makeup - my love of boxes continues!  I like to keep my shoes in their original boxes to avoid scuffs and dust.  I bought a set of cheap clear plastic boxes from eBay for my other shoes.  This is also a good way of fitting more into a smaller space, you can stack them up...and up!

the library!  I have amassed a collection of style and beauty books over the years
my favourite ones that I refer back to on a regular basis are
Style A - Zoe by Rachel Zoe
Style by Lauren Conrad
How to be Lovely - the Audrey Hepburn way of life

the mantra I try to live my life by "BE GLAMOROUS EVERYDAY"
and photos from the most special day of my life so far - 11th June 2011;
the day I married my best friend.

never be afraid to excessorise...pile those bangles high and layer necklace over necklace.  Jewellery is the easiset way to turn a simple outfit from drab to fab...and inexpensive - the high street is full of brillitant pieces for less than £10

designer delights - I am a high street girl, but every now and then I enjoy a designer splurge
just make sure it's an item with longevity - leave the "it bags" to the celebs, instead invest in a timeless piece where you really will get your money's worth
glitterati - the magpie within me just can't say no to sparkly, shiny things :-)

hairbands and bows oh my!

And there we have it, a glimpse into EmmaTaylorMade's dressing room...I hope I've inspired you to coordinate your clothes into colour order, or to detangle that bundle of necklaces at the bottom of your drawer! 

When your wardrobe is organised it's so much easier to see and pick your outfits -
make dressing up fun not a chore
xoxo



No comments: